Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Chicken Jalfrezi



Is there anybody out there who hasn't been bored by the 'regular'chicken curry. By 'regular' I mean the version that you always make, the one you know how to cook without looking up a recipe... I was almost beginning to hate chicken when suddenly I looked at the chicken in the freezer and "Chicken Jalfrezi"jumped at me. I had heard about this recipe but never tasted or seen Chicken Jalfrezi and it was one of those moments when inspiration hits and there is no turning back. So on to the internet and then began the process of elimination of various jalfrezi recipes and finally found this one that looked authentic and doable.

This is the slightly modified version that I made
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlicchopped

1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
3teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3 medium tomatoes diced

2.5 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves



Heat the oil and add onions and garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, and season with turmeric, chili powder and salt.Cook the chicken till it is slightly browned at edges.
Add tomatoes and cover the pan, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Uncover, and simmer for another 10 minutes to let the excess liquid evaporate.
Add the cumin, ground coriander, ginger and cilantro, and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes.

I was apprehensive about the 3tsp of turmeric as it seemed a little too much(compared with rest of the spices), but I guess that what was what made the Jalfrezi distinct...the 'nicer' color and that distinct taste.And the one other thing that was different from my usual chicken curry was the addition of cumin. I slightly decreased the amount of cumin. But I was glad to be free from the generic 'chicken curry' and to venture into new territory.